Kamis, 03 November 2016

Movie Review: Doctor Strange



Doctor Strange is American superhero movie from the Marvel comics character of the same name, directed by Scott Derrickson, about a former neurosurgeon Stephen Strange (Benedict Cumberbatch) becomes a powerful sorcerer under the tutelage of a mystic known as The Ancient One (Tilda Swinton). The movie also stars Chiwetel Ejiofor, Rachel McAdams, Benedict Wong, and Mads Mikkelsen.


Before watching it, I read some underestimating comments on twitter about the movie. Someone said it was better if the movie directed by Christopher Nolan, instead of Scott Derrickson. And I remembered someone tweeted that watching Doctor Strange is a wasting of time!

Like, Really?

Wasting of time?

I think all the movies starring Benedict Cumberbatch is worth to watch, including Doctor Strange, although a friend of mine said the plots is too fast. So I convinced my bf to prove it. We finally watched the movie last Saturday at CGV Blitz Paris Van Java, Bandung.

Oh by the way, I never read a comic book of Doctor Strange before, so I would say that I can’t compare between the comic and the movie. Well, in the opening scene, there were some monks in a silent temple. I didn’t watch it carefully, because of making status on Path. Haha…

In the next scene, we saw Dr. Stephen Strange (Benedict Cumberbatch) pulls bullets out of a dying man's head in the New York Hospital. His ex-girlfriend and colleague Dr. Christine Palmer (Rachel McAdams) gave the movie a romantic side (and sad, with a little bit humor). Strange’s sarcasms made me remembered of Dr. Gregory House from House M.D. drama series. But overall, the genius obsessive arrogant and self-centered Strange made me remember of Tony Stark!

All his successful life was gone once he got a serious car accident, caused an irreparable damage to his hands, and made him lost his ability to do surgeon. He was trying everything to get it back, until he find out a Nepalese mystic named The Ancient One who lives in a hideaway named Kamar-Taj. There, he advanced quickly after several months, learned about countless alternate dimensions, and by reading a special book which a page is missing; he knew how to bend time with the mystical Eye of Agamotto.

Cumberbatch did an excellent job. It’s not Sherlock with magic, just Cumberbatch doing his acting soooo good. And the most I’ve enjoyed from Cumberbatch: his funny! It completed by Benedict Wong (acted as Wong, a librarian) and Chitwetel Ejiofor (as Strange’s mentor Mordo) who served as sidekicks to strange but were used mostly to field jokes. For example, when Mordo gave him a piece of paper with “Shamballa” written on it:

Strange: [hold the paper] Well, what’s this, my mantra?
Mordo: it’s the Wi-Fi password. We’re not savages!


The other funny thing is when Strange visited the library and introduced himself to Wong. He asked if Wong’s name only consists of a word, Wong. Just like Adelle, Eminem, etc (I forget it, hhaha…) Wong asked him to stop. In another chance, Strange looked for books for astral projection, and Wong said he wasn’t ready, Strange replied “Oh give it up to Beyonce!”

Later, Strange found Wong secretly listening to Beyonce’s Single ladies on his headphones. I’m dying! HAHAHAHAHA…

The exchange between Strange and the villain, Kaecillus (played by Mads Mikkelsen), was also soooo funny. Here the lines:

Kaecilius: Mister...?
Strange: Doctor.
Kaecilius: Mister Doctor?
Strange: It's... "Strange".
Kaecilius: Maybe. Who am I to judge?

Yeah, Strange insisted to be called “Doctor”, like he did before when he first met The Ancient One.

I love the 3D and inter-dimensional scene, and when the cityscapes spiraling like a rubiks cube is amaaaazing! May be you’ll remember of Inception movie when you see it. Oh and I think Strange's red cape deserves its own credit, it was so funny! I didn’t recognize that Scott Derrickson is the director of Deliver Us from Evil, a movie starring Eric Bana, which is underrated, until I read it on Wikipedia. But, for this movie, I give him two thumbs up!

Well, ladies and gentlemen, I’m sorry if this post contains spoilers. But let me tell you, this movie is highly entertaining!
PS: If you watch this movie, please remember it is a marvel movie, so don’t go anywhere before the credit tittle end!


Cheers,
Esa

2 komentar: